June 3, 2011

A Christian's Role in Orphan Care


Anyone who knows our friend, Jillian, knows she's an avid Phillies fan. So when she returned from a recent orphan care conference with just as much passion, and more, about what she learned at Summit VII, I asked her to write a recap of this year's summit. 
I had the privilege of attending the 2011 Christian Alliance for Orphans (CAFO), Summit VII, in Louisville, Kentucky, this past May. I was one of 1,700 people that attended, with no doubt hundreds of different reasons and background stories which led everyone to be there. 
The organizations at the Summit presented a wide array of ways to get involved with orphan care–visiting orphans, hosting orphans, supporting adoptive families, adopting yourself, and more. This variety has to be a direct result of James 1:27a–Religion that our God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress. God intends for all Christians to be involved in the care of orphans. 
Jillian
It has been exciting to see Jonathan and Christy and another couple at our church adopt and live out this command. As their friend and fellow church member, I (and maybe you, as the reader), am compelled to help out in the challenging process of adoption. Whether it is helping with a fundraiser, babysitting, supporting financially, helping around the house, or praying for them, we can all have a part.  
In addition to these practical supports, I'd encourage you to become informed about adoption. As marketing and public relations administrator for an international adoption agency, I speak to a lot of prospective adoptive parents. There are many common misconceptions, some of which I had myself before working in the adoption field. The more you are informed, the less uncertainty there will be as a new child by adoption is welcomed into your friends' lives.
I hope and pray the adoption movement in the local church is not a passing trend, but an emerging mindset in believers that our call to care for the fatherless is no less important than God's saving grace to us while we were sinners. I'm grateful for organizations like CAFO who work to equip the church to support this vital work. 
" ... Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act ..." -- Proverbs 24:12 
Jillian works as a Marketing and Public Administrator for America World Adoption, a highly regarded international adoption agency.

Another friend from our church, Elizabeth, works as the Director of Outreach for Christian Alliance for Orphans. Families, churches and other organizations may become members of CAFO to stay informed about orphan, adoption and foster care-related news through monthly webinars, news updates, an annual orphan summit and the November Orphan Sunday campaign.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Christy,
    I read your article in Bethany's June newsletter...my husband also wrote an article in that same issue " And What Would You Do for Your Great Name?" We live pretty close and I would love to get together sometime and visit. I also read here in your blog that you lived in Greer, SC. My husband grew up near Greenville and before moving to VA we lived in Clemson ~ small world. It's amazing how God provides to care for orphans ~ I love talking to other families who have also been witness to HIS GREAT FAITHFULNESS! Stop by my blog anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marian,
    I'd love to meet up :) Email me at opfirefly{at}gmail.com and let's make arrangements.

    I enjoyed looking at your blog...looks like we have a lot in common!
    Christy

    ReplyDelete