October 7, 2013

Home Educating Your Adopted Child



Many parents who have adopted choose to educate their child at home to further the bond between parent and child. Home educating an adopted child opens up a plethora of opportunities and a number of perplexing challenges for the family.

As Christy and I think about education options for son, I found this article "Embracing Growth: Homeschooling Families Adapt To Adoption" to be wonderfully practical and encouraging. It's by HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association) where I used to work in the Legal Department (I recommend every home schooling family to join HSLDA). If you're an adoptive parent, or thinking about becoming an adoptive parent, I encourage you to read this article carefully. It will help you think about how home educating may be a real help to integrating your adopted child into your family, and how to navigate the unique struggles that often accompany adoption.

If you have ideas, comments, or anything to add about this topic, post them below.

No comments:

Post a Comment